Ep.005 Sleep Expert, Shawn Stevenson on Why Sleep is More Important than You Think
Shawn Stevenson is your number #1 fan when it comes to giving yourself permission to prioritize your sleep. From creating a nightly routine, to eating foods that stimulate a deep restorative sleep — Shawn, has you covered.
In this episode, we laugh, get real, and jam on some of the best tools to increase your ZzZ’s.
Notes from Show:
In the Zura Health program, we dedicate a whole week to understanding the importance of sleep. Why? Managing our stress and getting an adequate amount of deep restorative sleep are two of the most important pillars needed to live a healthy, fulfilling & expansive life. If you are stressed out, and not getting enough high-quality restorative sleep, you will be at risk for all of the modern, chronic diseases we face today such as autoimmunity, heart disease and diabetes.
How Sleep Deprivation Affects You:
1. You’re more likely to gain weight. Leptin, your satiety hormone is significantly reduced when you are sleep deprived. Therefore, your appetite and cravings can increase.
2. You are at a higher risk for illness. The immune system does not function optimally and results in increased inflammation, uncontrolled blood sugar rise and contributes to an increased risk of diabetes, heart disease, stroke, and infection.
3. Your risk for injury increases. A tired mind and body posses increased risks for injury, errors, and accidents.
4. Your brain doesn't function optimally. Mental performance suffers and impacts your overall mood, focus and high-level cognitive function.
5. You are more likely to struggle with your emotions. Increased feelings of irritability, anxiety, sadness, anger are common.
Shawn Stevenson is a bestselling author and creator of The Model Health Show, featured as the #1 Health podcast on iTunes with millions of listener downloads each year. A graduate of The University of Missouri – St. Louis, Shawn studied business, biology, and kinesiology, and went on to be the founder of Advanced Integrative Health Alliance, a company that provides wellness services for individuals and organizations worldwide. Shawn has been featured in Entrepreneur magazine, Men’s Health magazine, ESPN, FOX News, and many other major media outlets. He is also a frequent keynote speaker for numerous organizations, universities, and conferences.
We talk about…
Why is sleep so important for our overall well-being
How sleep helps to reduce our fat storage
How a calorie restricted diet is less important than deep sleep
What gets in the way of good, restorative sleep?
What your hormones have to do with sleep
How to calm your mind so you can sleep
What action items can we take today to level up our sleep