Almond Pesto & Pasta = Heaven
Activated Almond Pesto Pasta
For the Activated Pesto
- 1/2 cup activated almonds* (see note below)
- 2 cups fresh basil, or 1 cup basil, 1 cup arugula/kale/spinach
- 5 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 garlic cloves
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (omit if you don't want spicy)
- 3 tbsp extra virgin cold pressed olive oil
- pinch of pink Himalayan salt
* similar to soaking grains and legumes, nuts also benefit from soaking prior to consumption. We call this process 'activating' and it consists of soaking and drying to release phytic acid and enzyme prohibiters that are present. This makes the nut and seeds more bioavailable and more easily digestible. Below is a diagram explaining the process and times for different nuts and seeds.
- 1 large zucchini, spiralized*
- 1 package of ancient grain or gf pasta (cooked according to package)
- Roasted Spring Veggies such as Asparagus or Broccoli
*If you don't have a spiralizer you can use a vegetable peeler and peel the zucchini into ribbons. This will help create the 'pasta' affect.
- Add pesto ingredients (except EVOO) into a food processor or high speed blender such as a vitamix.
- Slowly poor your EVOO into the food processor/blender until desired consistency is obtained. Set aside.
- Prep your roasted spring veggies.
- Prep your Zucchini Zoodles or Gluten Free Noodles (we love Cappello's or Banza brands)
- Place into a large bowl and toss your noodle of choice with the desired amount of pesto. Top with spring veggies and Viola. Enjoy!
*You may store extra pesto in your fridge for a few days or place in freezer until you needed.
If you create your own version of this yummy spring meal, we want to see it! Please share your creations with us. Use hashtags on your social media or tag us directly @zurahealth #zurahealth #zuralite #zurababe #zurafied
In health and happiness,
The Zura Health Family